Skip to main content

ANNOUNCEMENT

As of the first Wednesday of 2018 I have launched a brand new blog site. I would encourage all my current followers to click the link below and come check it out. It's bigger and better than ever!

“But I choose to dance anyway”

There have been many instances where the opportunity to quit had been wide open. I could have quit at 9; when I realised that half way through a lesson, my feet were getting so tired I had to take a break. I could have quit at 13; when doctors offered me a walking frame to assist me everywhere I went. I could have quit at 14; when it was clear that for the rest of my life I would be dependent on a wheelchair. I could probably quit right now because even in a wheelchair I still get tired and I know that my dance technique is not on par with the rest of my class.

Of course, I know this. I am not oblivious… but I choose to dance anyway.

I truly believe there is something magical about the feeling you get when performing up on stage. It’s a feeling that is difficult to describe and even harder to know unless you are some kind of performer yourself; whether that be an actor, a musician, a vocalist or a dancer like me.

The feeling of performing on stage is gratifying in many ways. You feel like you’ve accomplished something that you’ve been practicing for a long period of time. You also get to be part of something bigger than your individual self. I get to perform with a group of very talented girls, some of which I’ve actually grown up with. I also get to do it in front of friends and family and of course our teacher who works so hard every semester to make every show what it is. For all of those people, it makes them proud and gives them a level of joy that makes me feel good about myself.

I also think dancing has a lot to do with my own self confidence. You see even if I’m not particularly talented or a professional, I still feel accomplishment in what I do. I feel like I’ve worked at something to the best of my ability and I’ve still challenged myself as much as I possibly can. Particularly because this is a physical activity that genuinely takes a lot of energy and hard work for me (more than most people), I feel proud that I get through each semester and then show, despite the energy lost and the tiring nights.

The other thing I get from dancing is to show other people what I’m made of. I love that I get to prove to other people that just because I’m in a wheelchair, it doesn’t stop me from doing something as physically challenging as dancing. I’ve spent most of my life on a mission to surprise people. To show people what they least expect from me and challenge people not to judge a book by its cover. I’ll admit, I get a real kick out of seeing the look on peoples’ faces when I tell them I’m a dancer. Especially when I add that I have been for over 12 years.

Dancing gives me something to feel proud of. It gives me joy and a way of escaping the rest of the world. When I’m having a rough week, I know I have Friday nights to look forward to. A night where all I have to worry about is which foot comes first and how fast it will take to move from one spot to the next. I love how when a good song plays, without even meaning to, it can compel me to move my body and just have fun. Because that’s what Dance Explosion is all about. Our school doesn’t do exams or competition. We are there to learn, have fun and put on an awesome show.

Speaking of putting on a great show, this past Friday, Deer Park Dance Explosion just put on their 2017 end of year production of: The Ugly Duckling. And what a show it was! This production was really held together by a main cast of the younger classes which was a first. We are very proud of those girls. Plus, some amazing dancers in every year level. Everyone just gets better and better every year.   

We are also there to make long lasting friendships so that when the time does come for us to part ways, we will always have a family to come back to when we need them.


I’m very lucky to be a part of Dance Explosion and there is no way I could give this up any time soon.

Have a lovely day! xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“You are not alone”

This post is as much for me, as it is for you. Loneliness is a very difficult feeling to navigate because you literally feel like nobody is there to help you. Loneliness is having nobody sit next to you in class. Having the teacher pick your partner because nobody will volunteer or working on your own because they’ve run out of people. Loneliness is sitting on your own at lunch when your friends aren’t at school or sitting in an isolated room because you’re too embarrassed to eat in front of other people. Loneliness is sitting in the library reading at a table on your own while everyone around you doesn’t seem to notice you sitting there at all. Loneliness is watching people laugh and joke around, wishing nothing more than to be a part of that feeling. Like when you were a kid watching from the outside of a Kids play centre. Loneliness is sitting at home scrolling through Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to see that everybody is out having a good time while you're stuck here.

“This is an issue of EQUALITY”

With the upcoming plebiscite, I think it’s only fitting that I shed some light on this issue of marriage equality. Can I just say firstly, I don’t know why it is that I feel as though (no, I know for a fact) I have written this same persuasive text more than once in both primary school and in high school, but I still find it astounding that in 2017 same sex marriage is still up for debate. What I also find absurd is that in some cases more children and young people understand the concept of equality better than most adults. Because that’s what this is all about isn’t it? I mean I’m really dumbing it down so that even the narrowest of minds can understand. This is an issue of EQUALITY. I know for a fact that most children, if not all of you, are taught values from the moment you make your very first mistakes. You are simply taught right from wrong. For example: for a long time as babies you would either point or cry whenever you wanted something, but then you would be taught ho

“What does school really look like?”

In my spare time, when I’m not writing or studying, I do watch a lot of movies and TV shows – specifically American teen movies and TV shows. You know, your high school dramas like Pretty Little Liars , Riverdale , (the classic) Mean Girls and that new one, The DUFF ! In light of the school year coming to a close, I thought I might share something interesting that I’ve noticed about American schools (or at least the way they are portrayed in these movies and TV shows) compared to the schools we have here in Australia. These schools all seem to follow a formula for all their social and friendship groups. A hierarchy or a system which I think for us Australian kids, is just not relatable at all. You see these groups of teenagers and ‘middle school kids’, (which by the way are primary school kids, here) seem to be divided into factions based on one specific character trait! Like, for example; you’ve got your ‘jocks’ (sports players), your ‘nerds’, ‘emos’, ‘music geeks’, ‘hipster