Skip to main content

ANNOUNCEMENT

As of the first Wednesday of 2018 I have launched a brand new blog site. I would encourage all my current followers to click the link below and come check it out. It's bigger and better than ever!

"The last night"

Since my last post exams have been over for about three weeks now, school is officially out and most importantly, last night we attended our year 12 formal.

Year 12 formal is officially the last night that the entire class of 2017 would be in the one room together and it is the night that most of us said goodbye to our friends, classmates and teachers before entering the big bad world or hopping on the roller-coaster that we call life (whatever corny line you wish to use).

In my opinion, formal was in fact a bittersweet night and not just because I wouldn’t be saying goodbye to the school, but because I would be saying goodbye to some of my friends. Sure, we’ll keep in touch, but who knows where our paths will take us. A lot can change in the course of a year, especially when we’re all headed in different directions. I say, what better way to say goodbye than to get all dressed up and party for six hours.

You see, for a lady such as myself, formal does not simply begin when you arrive at the venue. No no no, formal is a series of carefully planned out preparation leading up to the event. First, I got my nails all done up and then in the afternoon had a hair appointment. Us girls have been planning this night for months in advance so of course I had that dress and shoes laid out on my bed ready to put on when I got home. Completed the look with make up and accessories in just over an hour. Ready to head over to my best friend’s house to take pictures.

After taking pictures, from there we took her step-dad’s limousine along with three more of our closest friend’s. We drank Champaign (non-alcoholic because despite us all being of age, we weren’t allowed to enter the event intoxicated) which still tasted fabulous and we sung our hearts out to the prepared formal playlist.

By the way, it was my first time in a limmo but I felt like such a celebrity pulling up in front of that convention centre. The inside had lights and mirrors on the ceiling, complete with a sick sound system. We get out and more pictures were taken when we were joined by more friends and teachers. We waited in the lobby which soon became crowded with everyone chatting excitedly and admiring each other’s efforts to scrub up real good, as we waited for the curtains to open.

We entered the party room where fancy tables had been set up, balloons hovered in the ceiling and on the tables. Disco lights flashed across the room and at the front, a DJ had been set up at his booth. We had all been assigned seats with our friends which we had also planned ahead of time and so the night began.

We enjoyed a three-course meal which of course after the entre I was ready to quit. I mean who is able to eat a full piece of lasagne and then have room for a piece of chicken with vegetables? I was trying to save room for dessert which was individual platters of crème Brule, chocolate brownie and ice cream!

Between courses music played and we had dance intervals. It was a rather hot night to be honest and I had to step outside to get some fresh air or take a break a few times, at which time I would have lovely conversations with some of my favourite teachers.

The party really hit its peak once dessert was over and everyone was on the dancefloor for the last dance interval. Songs we’d grown up listening to mixed with the songs of 2017 made the whole night epic! It was what I imagined clubbing to be like minus the alcohol and drugs. Just too many sweaty people on the crowded dance floor with music blasting our ears off and us screaming at the top of our lungs. I think by the end of the night I was not only sweaty and exhausted but I temporarily lost my voice.

At the end of the night a wonderful presentation of every student’s baby photo followed by this year’s photo was shown to remind us all just how much we’d grown over the years. The presentation had us in hysterics as we tried to guess whose baby picture was whose and then find out what our friends sitting next to us had grown into. Another presentation followed of the years photos of events that occurred narrated by funny captions, reminding us all of the good times that would now simply become memories. Signed off with an encouraging message of good luck in the future.

The night ended with a speech by our principle during which she thanked us for the years we’d spent, for the people we’d become and wished us good luck once again for all our future endeavours. We fair-welled out teachers and classmates before we all either headed off to an after party, to lose our virginity (let’s be honest) or like me, to take a well-earned sleep that would last till 2:00pm the next day.

Have a lovely day! xx





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“You are not alone”

This post is as much for me, as it is for you. Loneliness is a very difficult feeling to navigate because you literally feel like nobody is there to help you. Loneliness is having nobody sit next to you in class. Having the teacher pick your partner because nobody will volunteer or working on your own because they’ve run out of people. Loneliness is sitting on your own at lunch when your friends aren’t at school or sitting in an isolated room because you’re too embarrassed to eat in front of other people. Loneliness is sitting in the library reading at a table on your own while everyone around you doesn’t seem to notice you sitting there at all. Loneliness is watching people laugh and joke around, wishing nothing more than to be a part of that feeling. Like when you were a kid watching from the outside of a Kids play centre. Loneliness is sitting at home scrolling through Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to see that everybody is out having a good time while you're stuck here.

“This is an issue of EQUALITY”

With the upcoming plebiscite, I think it’s only fitting that I shed some light on this issue of marriage equality. Can I just say firstly, I don’t know why it is that I feel as though (no, I know for a fact) I have written this same persuasive text more than once in both primary school and in high school, but I still find it astounding that in 2017 same sex marriage is still up for debate. What I also find absurd is that in some cases more children and young people understand the concept of equality better than most adults. Because that’s what this is all about isn’t it? I mean I’m really dumbing it down so that even the narrowest of minds can understand. This is an issue of EQUALITY. I know for a fact that most children, if not all of you, are taught values from the moment you make your very first mistakes. You are simply taught right from wrong. For example: for a long time as babies you would either point or cry whenever you wanted something, but then you would be taught ho

“I was not nervous in the slightest”

It’s been almost five months since my surgery, it feels like time has gone so fast. One minute I’m waiting for the biggest event of my life and then suddenly, it’s over and done with. Luckily, I still remember everything as if it happened yesterday. It all began on an early Tuesday morning. We were up and dressed by 7am and my parents and Rosie-Star (Harry was still asleep of course) came and drove us in. By the way; I was fasting for the operation so I didn’t get to have anything to eat or drink that morning except for a sip of water. This only bothered me for one main reason; I couldn’t have my morning cup of tea. We get there just after 8am so we had half an hour before I was due to go In. I was told that I would be the first one in the theatre that day. So, with no time to waste we caught the lift, up to the second or third floor (can’t remember that part) where the surgical clinics are. I was very surprised to see the entire waiting room was pack with families and their child