Skip to main content

ANNOUNCEMENT

As of the first Wednesday of 2018 I have launched a brand new blog site. I would encourage all my current followers to click the link below and come check it out. It's bigger and better than ever!

“The early days were the hardest”

So, it’s been what?... 2 weeks since I’ve posted a blog. Yeah since my last blog Ive been busy getting ready for the last SACs of this term (and of the year). Then, just this past week, ive had that god-awful flu virus that was going around last season, only I happen to get it at the beginning of spring. Wut? Anyway, been too sick to do anything and am still home from school today but I figured it’s been too long since I’ve written anything.

It should be noted that last Tuesday was the 6-month anniversary since my jaw surgery and so I thought I might share with you the ins and outs of what happened on the other side. If you haven’t already, be sure to check out the first part of this blog detailing the day I went in: "I was not nervous in the slightest"

When I woke up from surgery, I had pretty much no concept of time or space for about four days. I was just in and out of sleep at random intervals. I just know that when I was awake, I didn’t want to be. And not in like a depressing way, just I felt extremely uncomfortable and groggy. Firstly, I had this tube in my nose which was the only way any liquid forming in my mouth could be suctioned out. I know this is disgusting but it was my reality. My jaw was virtually clamped shut. I didn’t start opening and closing until about four days later. This was especially scary in the times when I felt like I had to puke. Although, thankfully it never happened, I would not have been able to spit it out. The idea of choking terrified me. On top of this I had an oxygen mask which was also uncomfortable on top of everything else. I think I made a poor effort to try and get rid of it but the nurse kept adjusting it back. I honestly felt like it was making it harder to breath, not easier. I was tapped up all around my mouth and underneath my chin. I even had more drains stitched into my throat – those (I think) were taken out a day later which was one of the most awful feelings. I can’t describe it. from day one I looked like I’d been in a car accident.

My first night in ICU was pretty blurry to be honest; the only clear memory I have is wanting to call dad and I think I was off my face at the time because I seemed to find my fingers very amusing. I was able to say hello using that back of my throat, how that came across I don’t know but we managed to communicate. My sister and brother were also talking to me on the other end when they told me that mum and dad had bought me tickets to see Shawn Mendes in December. I remember pointing out the posters on the way to the hospital that morning and saying something along the lines of wanting to go. So apparently while I was under, mum nabbed up two tickets for me as a hospital present. I couldn’t talk properly yet but I managed a squeal of sheer excitement.

Oh, back track; I do vaguely remember the first person to visit me right after the operation was one of our old family friends – Geraldine. I wasn’t fully conscious (I hadn’t even sit up for the first time yet) but I was able to squeeze her hand to let her know I knew she was there.

I don’t actually have any idea what ICU even looks like, I could only identify sound and depending on how loud I could determine how close things were. For example all the rooms were conjoined because the whole time I was in, there was a screaming baby next door that just would not go to sleep. Also, there were a lot of beeping because of all the monitors I was on. I had several different nurses during the two days I spent in there but I have no clue as to what they looked like. The only thing I could see was my mum because I told her to stay close to my face. I think in ICU I was visited by two girls whom im friends with at the hospital through a program called ChIPS and then and another time I was visited but one of the team leaders of ChIPS.

I think I was the most happy when my dancing teacher came to visit me on the second night. She brought me presents but I was just happy to see her. It was also the first time I saw myself in the mirror. The nurses had just taken out the drains from my neck and then while she was there I was transferred to my own room. That night was also special because I remember the whole fam was gathered at my bed when my teacher – Wendy – got a phone call from her son In London saying he’d landed a roll in a movie. At the time, it was secret because It was early filming days but we were all so excited. Even I let out my own cry of joy. That was a good night.

I was told that during the operation I had lost quit a significant amount of blood so I was given a blood transfusion and then I think later I was given another one. The blood transfusion was quite a scary revelation but then again, a lot of the next few days was scary. Most of the time was either sore or uncomfortable and I couldn’t sleep. I was on constant drugs and fluids but I also had a dry mouth because I didn’t drink for four days. I was aware that I was also bleeding from the back of my throat and I got nauseous a lot. The most common thing I asked for was to roll over but every movement ached. The only think that would somewhat keep me from panicking was knowing that my mum was there. there was one point when I was calling and calling but she wasn’t around. People were there but no one would answer me and I just felt completely petrified because the nursed were moving things around without telling me what was going on. mum finally appeared from apparently being in the bathroom and I just burst out crying. The early days were the hardest.

Right this is a depressing way to end but it does get a whole lot better after this. I’ve just realised it will required a whole other blog! Stick around for more!

Have a lovely day xx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“You are not alone”

This post is as much for me, as it is for you. Loneliness is a very difficult feeling to navigate because you literally feel like nobody is there to help you. Loneliness is having nobody sit next to you in class. Having the teacher pick your partner because nobody will volunteer or working on your own because they’ve run out of people. Loneliness is sitting on your own at lunch when your friends aren’t at school or sitting in an isolated room because you’re too embarrassed to eat in front of other people. Loneliness is sitting in the library reading at a table on your own while everyone around you doesn’t seem to notice you sitting there at all. Loneliness is watching people laugh and joke around, wishing nothing more than to be a part of that feeling. Like when you were a kid watching from the outside of a Kids play centre. Loneliness is sitting at home scrolling through Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to see that everybody is out having a good time while you're stuck here.

“This is an issue of EQUALITY”

With the upcoming plebiscite, I think it’s only fitting that I shed some light on this issue of marriage equality. Can I just say firstly, I don’t know why it is that I feel as though (no, I know for a fact) I have written this same persuasive text more than once in both primary school and in high school, but I still find it astounding that in 2017 same sex marriage is still up for debate. What I also find absurd is that in some cases more children and young people understand the concept of equality better than most adults. Because that’s what this is all about isn’t it? I mean I’m really dumbing it down so that even the narrowest of minds can understand. This is an issue of EQUALITY. I know for a fact that most children, if not all of you, are taught values from the moment you make your very first mistakes. You are simply taught right from wrong. For example: for a long time as babies you would either point or cry whenever you wanted something, but then you would be taught ho

“I was not nervous in the slightest”

It’s been almost five months since my surgery, it feels like time has gone so fast. One minute I’m waiting for the biggest event of my life and then suddenly, it’s over and done with. Luckily, I still remember everything as if it happened yesterday. It all began on an early Tuesday morning. We were up and dressed by 7am and my parents and Rosie-Star (Harry was still asleep of course) came and drove us in. By the way; I was fasting for the operation so I didn’t get to have anything to eat or drink that morning except for a sip of water. This only bothered me for one main reason; I couldn’t have my morning cup of tea. We get there just after 8am so we had half an hour before I was due to go In. I was told that I would be the first one in the theatre that day. So, with no time to waste we caught the lift, up to the second or third floor (can’t remember that part) where the surgical clinics are. I was very surprised to see the entire waiting room was pack with families and their child