Skip to main content

ANNOUNCEMENT

As of the first Wednesday of 2018 I have launched a brand new blog site. I would encourage all my current followers to click the link below and come check it out. It's bigger and better than ever!

“A beautiful and gentle soul”

It’s a sad day when a family pet dies. Particularly one that has been a part of the family for many years. Our beautiful Bonnie was way more than just our pet dog, she was a loyal companion and best friend. I know that a lot of people who have dogs will say exactly the same thing, which is why I don’t expect you to feel this the way I feel about Bonnie’s passing but at least you may be able to relate.

We are all aware of the fact that most dogs are loyal and friendly creatures, but because I’m biased I’m just put this out there; Bonnie is one of a kind. She was a beautiful and gentle soul with the emotional intelligence of a human being.

Bonnie was first rescued from a puppy farm and found to have been in such a state that the Shelta owners were just about to put her down before my Nana and one of her granddaughters adopted her. Bonnie grew up in Nana’s house which was on the Gympie farm property owned by her eldest son. She was a Border Collie – Poodle, a true farm dog.

She loved every day roaming around the farm property, chasing after sheep, though she spent most of her time by Nana’s side. I remember going up there in the summer holidays and it being so hot and sweaty. The house reeked of dog! Little did I know that would soon be our house.

Nana got very sick in late 2015 and after one of Mum’s visits up to Queensland she decided to bring Bonnie back to Melbourne so that we could take care of her; Nana passed away in early April 2016.

Poor thing went through a few big changes during this period. Her mum (Nana) was no longer at home (she was in hospital for the remainder of her days). Then Bonnie had to get used to the new cold weather, new life in the suburbs and a new-ish family. One of the most heart-breaking things is the sight of a dog crying. That’s what I mean by emotionally intelligent, she knew something was wrong.

But thankfully she had my mum who - I think she was aware - was connected to Nana. If you’d have asked me who was her ‘person’ I would have said hands down, mum. But over the years she’s built strong connections with all of us. She was such a friendly girl that she loved anyone who gave her a pat.

When we first got her (our first ever dog) we got her pampered. Washed, haired cut, new collar, new dog coat, new bed and even new toys. We were so overjoyed to finally have a dog. We’d been pestering dad about it for a long time.

Although she was of course a farm dog, I think she got used to her new home pretty quickly. She just wasn’t exactly street wise. We had to teach her to stop at street lights as well as make sure she did her business outside not on the bathroom floor (though even that was technically very clever of her when you think about it).

Bonnie also had to acquaint herself with her new furry house mates (our cats Hamish and Muggles) who were not too pleased by her sudden existence in their household to say the least. I mean Muggles warmed up to her a little faster than Hamish who tried to attack her several time if she did so much as walk past his line of sight. Poor Bonnie wouldn’t hurt a fly let alone protect herself from a cat (who in fact was half her size). For weeks all we heard was her howling because she’d apparently got to her dinner before Hamish had got to his. He only just recently began to tolerate her being around. Though he made it pretty clear who was king. Muggles on the other hand, became friendly with Bonnie over the last 2 years. Even playful. They were best buds!

Although Bonnie was already 10-12 (human) years when we first got her, she was always very playful. Her favourite game to play was fetch-the-ball-and-never-give-it-back-no-matter-how-hard-they-tug. Trying to get a ball back from that dog was like trying to pull a brick out of a wall. She loved her woollen doll that we got her too and would sit for ages chewing at it until it was completely destroyed. She played like a puppy full of so much energy.

Oh, and her most favourite thing in the entire world was a W.A.L.K. That’s right we could not so much as say the word without her going completely ballistic. Or just taking out her leash or a plastic bag from the draw was enough to get her jumping up and down. she was nothing but a pure joy to watch as she trotted along the footpath, tail wagging violently. Well… until she paused to take a dump under a tree. That wasn’t so pleasant (thank goodness, I never had to take care of that).

Bonnie never did much wandering on her own but if she did, she was smart enough to find her way back home every time. And every time you’d hear a bark (the only time she ever barked) at the front or back door as if to say, “I’m back”.

I will never forget those beautifully, big, shiny eyes that would stare up at you lovingly as she waited for you to give her a pat. Or all those times she sat beside me at dinner begging for food even though her bowl behind her was already full. Or when she would sit still in the corner of your vision until you looked at her, to which she would respond by wagging her tail vigorously “Hello!”. Bonnie wanted to be wherever the family was. If we were watch tv, shed sometimes lie on the sofa with us. If mum was dropping me off at dancing, she would sometimes hop in the car with us.

The best feeling was when we came home from school and she would come bounding up to us with excitement, “You’re home!”. She would then lie in the doorway of whose’ ever room was occupied – she was like our guard dog.

Unfortunately, Bonnie was always very sick with an untreatable heart condition. You would often hear her coughing and panting and chucking up on the floor. She also had quite a bit of pain (arthritis, I think). Bonnie was going blind and deaf on top of all this. In short, she was an old dog and Friday night was just the last straw. She wasn’t breathing properly and couldn’t even bring her body to lie down. I’m happy that we got to say our goodbyes properly that night before mum took her to the vet.

Bonnie lived almost 14 years. She had a good and happy life and now she is finally able to rest in peace. She was finally relieved of any pain and simply went to sleep. Which is all I could ever wish for her.

The house already feels quieter, bigger like something is definitely missing. Even the cats notice it. Bonnie brought both light and warmth to this household as well as unconditional love. I don’t think I will ever come across a creature as incredible as she was. Which is why her lovely spirit will forever live inside our hearts. We will never forget her.

We love you Bon-Bon! xx




Comments

  1. Thank you Claudia for saying it for all our family. You Capture our experience of Bonnie and we are all better for having it said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“You are not alone”

This post is as much for me, as it is for you. Loneliness is a very difficult feeling to navigate because you literally feel like nobody is there to help you. Loneliness is having nobody sit next to you in class. Having the teacher pick your partner because nobody will volunteer or working on your own because they’ve run out of people. Loneliness is sitting on your own at lunch when your friends aren’t at school or sitting in an isolated room because you’re too embarrassed to eat in front of other people. Loneliness is sitting in the library reading at a table on your own while everyone around you doesn’t seem to notice you sitting there at all. Loneliness is watching people laugh and joke around, wishing nothing more than to be a part of that feeling. Like when you were a kid watching from the outside of a Kids play centre. Loneliness is sitting at home scrolling through Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to see that everybody is out having a good time while you're stuck here.

“This is an issue of EQUALITY”

With the upcoming plebiscite, I think it’s only fitting that I shed some light on this issue of marriage equality. Can I just say firstly, I don’t know why it is that I feel as though (no, I know for a fact) I have written this same persuasive text more than once in both primary school and in high school, but I still find it astounding that in 2017 same sex marriage is still up for debate. What I also find absurd is that in some cases more children and young people understand the concept of equality better than most adults. Because that’s what this is all about isn’t it? I mean I’m really dumbing it down so that even the narrowest of minds can understand. This is an issue of EQUALITY. I know for a fact that most children, if not all of you, are taught values from the moment you make your very first mistakes. You are simply taught right from wrong. For example: for a long time as babies you would either point or cry whenever you wanted something, but then you would be taught ho

“I was not nervous in the slightest”

It’s been almost five months since my surgery, it feels like time has gone so fast. One minute I’m waiting for the biggest event of my life and then suddenly, it’s over and done with. Luckily, I still remember everything as if it happened yesterday. It all began on an early Tuesday morning. We were up and dressed by 7am and my parents and Rosie-Star (Harry was still asleep of course) came and drove us in. By the way; I was fasting for the operation so I didn’t get to have anything to eat or drink that morning except for a sip of water. This only bothered me for one main reason; I couldn’t have my morning cup of tea. We get there just after 8am so we had half an hour before I was due to go In. I was told that I would be the first one in the theatre that day. So, with no time to waste we caught the lift, up to the second or third floor (can’t remember that part) where the surgical clinics are. I was very surprised to see the entire waiting room was pack with families and their child