Skip to main content

ANNOUNCEMENT

As of the first Wednesday of 2018 I have launched a brand new blog site. I would encourage all my current followers to click the link below and come check it out. It's bigger and better than ever!

“Perfect happiness, great joy and oblivion to everything else”

Do you ever feel as though the world around is constantly spinning? People are constantly moving about, doing, talking. You hear noise coming from every different direction, more people talking, the sound of busy traffic on the way to school, girls screaming even though they saw each other yesterday, pens clicking, people yawning, papers turning, footfalls, school bells, music.

You’re always on the go, from the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep. Always have something you have to get done before the end of the day. Your mind is always thinking. Thinking about the next task, thinking about what you’re going to have for lunch, wondering if you’ve forgotten something, worrying about an Exam or SAC, trying to come up with a topic to blog about, worrying about what people might think of you.

And even at the end of the day, when everything is said and done and you’re tucked into bed, ready to fall peacefully to sleep, your mind is still spinning with more thoughts. Thinking deeply about your purpose and place in this world, about tomorrow’s events, and more anxieties that will come with the following sunrise. When you finally fall asleep, it only feels as though an hour or so has passed and suddenly you’re forced to get up and do it all over again. 

It’s as though you never get a moment to stop, take a breath and be able to think of absolutely nothing. That is what it feels like for me anyway.

When I thought about bliss, I used to think that it meant travelling to some foreign land, sitting on top of a high mountain and looking out at a beautiful green landscape, surrounded by nothing but nature. Completely alone and away from the rest of world. Only then would I find complete peace and happiness. While this is one way to find it, it is not the only way.

Bliss. A state of perfect happiness, great joy and oblivion to everything else.

The world stops spinning, no words, no noise. Racing thoughts finally come to a halt and you feel complete and utter peace. It is a state of mind that I find hard to come by most days but I soon realised that it wasn’t as impossible as I first thought. In fact, I had already experienced my own little glimpses of bliss without even realising.

Finding your bliss does not have to be an elaborate journey. All it is, is finding something that makes you feel happy or relaxed. For me it is as simple as making a cup of tea and sitting by my bedroom window with a good book. Or pouring a nice warm bath and lighting some candles. Bliss can be found in doing the things we love, for me its dancing. Or maybe just taking a walk around the block if you really want to clear your head. Lying down on your bed or on a patch of grass in the back yard with your headphones in is another good one.

I'm also lucky enough to live right next to a creek and surrounding it is a long bike trail amongst all these trees and greenery. its like my own little nature escape right around the corner which is perfect for walks during the summertime.  

I realise that for some people it is not easy to fully clear your mind on your own. It’s a tricky thing to do that takes a lot of practice. That is why I suggest downloading an app like; Smiling mind, which basically runs through a series of steps in a process called "mindfulness". It is a good way to find some peace and can take as little as a minute to complete if you’re somebody with a busy lifestyle. All you have to do is find yourself a quiet space, put you’re headphones in and listen. 

Whatever or wherever our bliss may lay, it is not impossible to find, as long as we take the time once in a while just for ourselves. Some people might argue that it’s impossible to have a completely clear mind and silence all around. But I believe that even if that’s true in some cases, we can still find distractions from our everyday thoughts and anxieties. We can learn that it is not always important to dwell on on the past or worry about the future, We can find peace and happiness in the present moment. 

Have a lovely day xx

The creek behind my house





Comments

  1. Hi Claudia! So glad I jumped on Facebook for the first time in months and saw a link to your blog. Love the writing, so engaging and such great ideas and themes you are exploring. I think your aspirations to become a writer are well on the way to being realised - can't wait to read more! Anyway hope you and the fam are well. I can't remember the last time we ran into each other (the pool? Dinjerra PS Market? Shopping?) Hopefully catch you again soon. Jo W xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! it has been a while. thank you for the words

      Delete
  2. Loving your writing Claud and really looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“You are not alone”

This post is as much for me, as it is for you. Loneliness is a very difficult feeling to navigate because you literally feel like nobody is there to help you. Loneliness is having nobody sit next to you in class. Having the teacher pick your partner because nobody will volunteer or working on your own because they’ve run out of people. Loneliness is sitting on your own at lunch when your friends aren’t at school or sitting in an isolated room because you’re too embarrassed to eat in front of other people. Loneliness is sitting in the library reading at a table on your own while everyone around you doesn’t seem to notice you sitting there at all. Loneliness is watching people laugh and joke around, wishing nothing more than to be a part of that feeling. Like when you were a kid watching from the outside of a Kids play centre. Loneliness is sitting at home scrolling through Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to see that everybody is out having a good time while you're stuck here.

“This is an issue of EQUALITY”

With the upcoming plebiscite, I think it’s only fitting that I shed some light on this issue of marriage equality. Can I just say firstly, I don’t know why it is that I feel as though (no, I know for a fact) I have written this same persuasive text more than once in both primary school and in high school, but I still find it astounding that in 2017 same sex marriage is still up for debate. What I also find absurd is that in some cases more children and young people understand the concept of equality better than most adults. Because that’s what this is all about isn’t it? I mean I’m really dumbing it down so that even the narrowest of minds can understand. This is an issue of EQUALITY. I know for a fact that most children, if not all of you, are taught values from the moment you make your very first mistakes. You are simply taught right from wrong. For example: for a long time as babies you would either point or cry whenever you wanted something, but then you would be taught ho

“I was not nervous in the slightest”

It’s been almost five months since my surgery, it feels like time has gone so fast. One minute I’m waiting for the biggest event of my life and then suddenly, it’s over and done with. Luckily, I still remember everything as if it happened yesterday. It all began on an early Tuesday morning. We were up and dressed by 7am and my parents and Rosie-Star (Harry was still asleep of course) came and drove us in. By the way; I was fasting for the operation so I didn’t get to have anything to eat or drink that morning except for a sip of water. This only bothered me for one main reason; I couldn’t have my morning cup of tea. We get there just after 8am so we had half an hour before I was due to go In. I was told that I would be the first one in the theatre that day. So, with no time to waste we caught the lift, up to the second or third floor (can’t remember that part) where the surgical clinics are. I was very surprised to see the entire waiting room was pack with families and their child