Skip to main content

ANNOUNCEMENT

As of the first Wednesday of 2018 I have launched a brand new blog site. I would encourage all my current followers to click the link below and come check it out. It's bigger and better than ever!

“Writing to write about writing”

I’m a pretty honest person, so I’m just gonna come out with it. I’ve had a bit of crappy week - writing and otherwise. I had a bit of the flu on Tuesday so that wasn’t great. But also I’ve just felt really uninspired and overall…. down. No reason in particular, it just happens I guess. You know those grey days, except mine lasted more than just a day. Its Friday night so normally I would have dancing but I’ve decided I need a break…. I know, from dancing? Yeah. I’m just feeling that crappy. But I decided that I really wanted to write one last post this week because I told myself that I’d post three times a week and I didn’t post last night (when I usually do). So here I am, in my Cheshire Cat onesie with a cuppa tea and a little something to share.

I actually started writing this on Monday but once I started, I realised I had no clue where I was going with it. I was certainly in a much better mood but I really did have “no point and no structure”. Now that I’ve had some time to reflect about it, I think I’ve taught myself a little lesson.  

I have no point and no structure for what I am about to say. I only have inspiration and a sense of enlightenment as I unveil something that gives me great pleasure. I’m writing to write about writing! It is the second thing I’ve found that gives me happiness after dancing. My Mum said once that if It weren’t for the un-fulfilled dream to become a dancer, I would not have discovered my love for writing. This is true. When you are unable to do even what you love, life forces you to find a new love. To use your talents in a different way. I was lucky to find writing.

For me writing is something that came naturally because I already had a voice. I already had a lot to say. The only problem is my brain seems to run faster than my motor skills. (Though over time I guess my fingers have become accustomed to using the keyboard). At first writing was to tell the story I couldn’t live; stories about ballerinas and even princesses. As a little girl, I very much enjoyed writing about the fantasy world; fairies, unicorns and dragons. As I got older I guess I found writing to be a way of telling the story I do live. I use writing to escape this world and live another life. I use it to explain what I couldn’t normally say with my own voice. I try to inspire others, to give others a voice but most importantly I write for myself; to make me feel happy. It gives me a sense of purpose and I guess writing and dancing are very similar. I use them both essentially, to tell a story.

Yesterday I started and finished this fantastic book called “Letters to a young writer” written by Colum McCann. It’s what inspired me to write this right now. It’s a brilliant little book! Mr McCann not only gave me advice, but he helped me rediscover what I already knew about myself as a writer and what I hoped to achieve with my writing. He opened my eyes up to new possibilities and made me ask questions about my writing that I never thought to ask myself. He reassured some of my fears (like worrying if I’m taking too long to get my first book published) and taught me to challenge myself, to look at things from a different perspective. When I first looked at the book my dad had bought me, I wondered how someone could possibly teach another how to write… well, fiction anyway? It’s an art form, isn’t it? And then I read the first line of the introduction:

‘Nobody can advise you and help you, nobody’ – writes Rilke in Letters to a young poet.

Well, I was right! There are no rules when it comes to writing and I guess I quite like that. But the short letter type insights that Mr McCann offered were not on how to write, but rather what to think about when we go to write, what to consider. Even how to conduct ourselves and commit to the art-form. Without spoiling too much, it a good book and I would recommend it to any writer….young or old.

As you know this week I published pt. 2 of Mrs Costa Corner Shop. Honestly, I realised I wasn’t proud of. I mean I like the idea, but I’m not proud with how I wrote it (first chapter included). And I know where my problem lies. I didn’t give myself enough time to go over the chapters and refine them a little. That’s part of where this ‘slump’ came from. Haven’t been happy since I posted it. So, in saying this, I’ve decided to stop publishing further chapters and just take some time to work on them a little more. This way I don’t have the pressure of having to upload them every week and I can be proud of them when I finally do….In the meantime, I am definitely going to change the name of this story because I hate it! It sounds like a children’s book.

You see, something that Mr McCann talked about in his book is that every writer is going to fail. Fail, fail, and fail again. The point is not to get too hooked up on it (which is kind of what I did). To just keep going and to keep revising your work. I guess it’s all part of honing your craft. He includes this great quote that I think really sums it up.
“No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better” – Samuel Beckett
He also talks about the moment when feels as if they cannot get any words onto paper. Though I don’t think he believes in the term ‘writers block’, he tells us to not let the “terror of the white page shrink wrap your mind”. In other words, you need to work at it because the words do not appear if you’re not there putting in the time. Though if that really doesn’t work its always important to take a break, go away for a while, do something different, and then come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes. This guess this weekend that’s what I’ll be doing. Need to rest and repair and probably get some homework done too. And then next week I will be back hopefully with some news and fresh ideas!

Yes, I’m feeling better already! 

Have a lovely day! xx
Image result
Colum McCann - Author of Letters to a young writer

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“You are not alone”

This post is as much for me, as it is for you. Loneliness is a very difficult feeling to navigate because you literally feel like nobody is there to help you. Loneliness is having nobody sit next to you in class. Having the teacher pick your partner because nobody will volunteer or working on your own because they’ve run out of people. Loneliness is sitting on your own at lunch when your friends aren’t at school or sitting in an isolated room because you’re too embarrassed to eat in front of other people. Loneliness is sitting in the library reading at a table on your own while everyone around you doesn’t seem to notice you sitting there at all. Loneliness is watching people laugh and joke around, wishing nothing more than to be a part of that feeling. Like when you were a kid watching from the outside of a Kids play centre. Loneliness is sitting at home scrolling through Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to see that everybody is out having a good time while you're stuck here.

“This is an issue of EQUALITY”

With the upcoming plebiscite, I think it’s only fitting that I shed some light on this issue of marriage equality. Can I just say firstly, I don’t know why it is that I feel as though (no, I know for a fact) I have written this same persuasive text more than once in both primary school and in high school, but I still find it astounding that in 2017 same sex marriage is still up for debate. What I also find absurd is that in some cases more children and young people understand the concept of equality better than most adults. Because that’s what this is all about isn’t it? I mean I’m really dumbing it down so that even the narrowest of minds can understand. This is an issue of EQUALITY. I know for a fact that most children, if not all of you, are taught values from the moment you make your very first mistakes. You are simply taught right from wrong. For example: for a long time as babies you would either point or cry whenever you wanted something, but then you would be taught ho

“I was not nervous in the slightest”

It’s been almost five months since my surgery, it feels like time has gone so fast. One minute I’m waiting for the biggest event of my life and then suddenly, it’s over and done with. Luckily, I still remember everything as if it happened yesterday. It all began on an early Tuesday morning. We were up and dressed by 7am and my parents and Rosie-Star (Harry was still asleep of course) came and drove us in. By the way; I was fasting for the operation so I didn’t get to have anything to eat or drink that morning except for a sip of water. This only bothered me for one main reason; I couldn’t have my morning cup of tea. We get there just after 8am so we had half an hour before I was due to go In. I was told that I would be the first one in the theatre that day. So, with no time to waste we caught the lift, up to the second or third floor (can’t remember that part) where the surgical clinics are. I was very surprised to see the entire waiting room was pack with families and their child